Thursday, January 17, 2013

Have you ever been cut down?

In order for a fruit tree to bear fruit it must be pruned. I moved into a house in New Jersey that had two beautiful apple trees. However, the apple trees had not been pruned in at least 20 years. The trees had become a sore sight with what appeared to be warts. It would bear apples, but they were all small and deformed.

The trees were nothing but a sore sight and a  nuisance.  In the fall time I cursed the apples my family and I would have to pick up, bags and bags of smashed bee infested apples. We would have some fun throwing the apples into the creek, but overall, it was not a well liked chore.  My kids paid the price many times with a bee sting. And the wood chucks got their fair share of small deformed apples. We tried making apple crisp with the few good apples it yielded. I would find the tiny edible apples, which was very few and have to cut out a bug or two. It was a fun try to a little dish of apple crisp.

If the trees had been pruned and cut down, they would have known their full potential. I talked to gardeners and they said they were too big to prune. I did cut one low branch and it started with little sprouts all over. It wanted to be an good apple tree. We ended up cutting down one of the trees and left the other.

 I went back to school and got a BA in English. I wanted to be a librarian, but it would have cost too much money to continue going to school. So, I loved kids and thought of teaching. I took the necessary classes in New Jersey for the alternate teaching degree. I finished and just needed to teach one year and I would have my teaching certificate. No jobs were available. Soon I had to move to New Mexico and there my teaching classes would not be accepted. I had to start over. I took a reading class and passed. Took my tests and passed. Then we had to move to Utah for my husbands job. There I left the possibility of having a teaching certificate. I have in the mean time, started writing. I frankly do not want to take the route of teaching and have changed my mind. If I had gotten the job in NJ and had my teaching degree, I am sure that is what I would be doing now. I am happy to be writing and look forward to someday, seeing my potential as a writer. I hope it doesn't turn out like the teaching degree!

 In life we get cut down like the apple tree. We get mad at why we had to be cut back and don't understand.  But We don't know our full potential. The master gardener does.












No comments:

Post a Comment