Friday, March 29, 2013

Literal Latte Literary Magazine Submission

There are a million Literary Magazines out there. I found this one and will submit my first short story with hopes of publication. I would love to win the Pushcart Award, but that may be pushing it...pun on words.

It is on abortion in the 1930's. It was fascinating to write and learn what I thought I knew.
I was a teen that was pregnant, so that part of the story came from personal experience. I did not get an abortion though. The story started out in the modern world of abortion and clinics and quickly changed to the 1930's. The reason it was so easy for me to write about this was through conversations with my dear old friend, who was Spanish, Irish, and French. She was born in 1940. Her sister had went to Delaware for an abortion.

It takes place in 1937, after WWII, when the number of unwed women getting abortion were rising. This is compared to pre-WWII when it was mostly married women and a form of birth control. It captures the feelings of abortion, which was not much guilt. It was a matter of fact act. But, the death of abortion was a very real thing. In 1915 death of Anna Johnson, to a doctor perforating a girls uterus and pulling out her intestines were just a few of the stories told. It was an era that women did not discuss there sexual organs or abortion in public. You just didn't.

I will let you know if it makes it to the magazine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment