Tuesday, January 1, 2013

An African in Greenland


An African in Greenland

This book is the truth about Greenland I was looking for. It is from the 50's, so all things considered, it is shocking what went on in the fifty's.
Michel the Giant is an amazing man with the desire to get to Greenland as a boy. He does it and wants to learn everything about these Inuit. He dives right in with out judging their inebriated lives. I like his writing as much as Knud Rasmussen. He did this with little education and pure curiosity.
Others that have read it said they wanted to hear more about Africa, he does tell a little, and it is VERY interesting. But I got the book to learn about the Inuit, not an African. Most of all, I wanted an African's perspective on Greenland. I am half way through and have enjoyed it greatly! I love how somebody else's knowledge is used to inspire another work. Inspiration is what keeps the world going round!

No comments:

Post a Comment