Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fellow Artist, HELP ME


This is an email I sent to Isuma TV because I have used and
abused their website. I really want a person who knows and
understands the Inuit because they are a large part of my book.
I want the Inuit to like it and I want it to be real to life.
I also post this on my blog so that I can see who I have harassed
about reading my book!
Come on Isuma TV!!

Arnait Video Productions

5764 Monkland Avenue Suite 223
Montréal, Québec
H4A 1E9
Canada
tel: +1.514.486.0707
fax: +1.514.486.9851
Arnait Video Productions
P.O Box 223
Igloolik, Nunavut
X0A 0L0
Canada
tel: +1.867.934.8809
fax: +1.867.934.8700


Jessica Ivins
 
9:50 AM (0 minutes ago)
to info
Hi,

I live in the US and have watched all of Isuma TV movies about the Inuit, plus many of the interviews! I have used them for research for my YA book.  I have read Jorn Riel's book, "Shipwreck" and look forward to his others. 

 I recently finished a YA book that has a mélange many exciting characters.  I need an established writer to read my book. I have queried to a few agents, to no avail,  and will be adamantly querying when I am done editing.   I would really like it to be endorsed by someone that knows about the Inuit because I want to know it is true to life or something that the Inuit would appreciate. My heart also go out to the Inuit with the changing culture and the youth. My husband is a Native American from the Apache tribe and I understand the reality of suicide with the young generations. It is around 60K words. A realistic fiction turns fantasy. I have a BA in English and  a mind to see many different viewpoints. I believe in my book and hope that it can reach the hands of youth all over the world. 

Please let me know if you would be interested or if you know a way to contact Jorn Riel. 



Thank you in advance for your time,


Here is my response I received! (same day)!

Hello Jessica;

Congratulations on writing your book.

I do not feel at ease to give you an email for Jorn Riel; I know he has an agent somewhere in Danmark.
He is quite reclusive and I do not feel it is appropriate for me to do.  I will forward him your email and if he writes back to you, good!

I myself could eventually read your book but only in the next few monts; I am finishing a feature film and a documentary series and I have very little time to not only read, but take notes and react. I would like to be respectful of your work but I can not do this right now with my occupations.

I am sorry I can not help you more; I am certain someone will read it though because you are convincing. Is it a book about the INuit? I am not sure I understand. Good luck.

And here is my response!


Dear Marie-Hélène,

Thank you! and thank you for responding! I understand about Jorn Riel. Thank you for forwarding my information.

It is a book that involve the Inuit. I would love it if you had time to read it. I would love to have you read it
when you are done with your current work. I understand that you are busy. Ii is the young adult
genre I enjoy and hope that kids of all cultures can connect with this book.


There is a Scandinavian father that has to hide his son from evil in the year 1000AD. He travels 
to Greenland and then on to the new land (Northern Canada) where the Inuit reside. He leaves his baby with
 an amulet in the snow.  
An Inuk woman finds the baby and some of the Inuit are superstitious of the baby with red hair. 
He grows up and is one of the family when he feels the need to return to his land, Scandinavia. 
He leaves the amulet with his wife and son and tells them he will return. When he doesn't return
the Inuit that were superstitious spread the rumor that ones with red hair cause 
death. The family hides the amulet and hope that no more red heads are born. The family continues 
to pass down the amulet but when a baby is born with that tinge of redness, it brings up the past and he is 
looked at as a bad omen. 

But the amulet is not the only one on our Earth. There are two others. One was in Africa and is
now with an African foster child in New Jersey. He puts the pieces together all the while being diagnosed
with schizophrenia. He meets a Inuk man and they embark on a journey with Fiona, another foster child. 
With the beauty of the East Coast and the sublime feeling of freedom, these unlikely friends meet a foster Inuk
boy and a Inuk grandma that help them solve they mystery.  




No comments:

Post a Comment