Saturday, March 16, 2013

Being the Perfect Mom is Over-rated

I have been a mom for almost 18 years. I have washed dishes 365x18...6570 and then some, because we all know that we have to do dishes more than once in a day. I have taken my kids on family field trips. I have taken them to church almost every Sunday. I have read to them every night until they could read on their own. I have been as close as I can to the perfect mom.
I have also never cared what other people think. I have done it all for my kids. I have never cared if they wanted to wear shorts in the snow. Because, sooner or later they would learn it is better to be warm. I have relished in learning moments for the kids. When they got their first F or when they forgot their lunch. I have quietly relished in the moments I simply suggested they make a plan and theirs didn't work out. I believe the best lessons in life are learned, not taught.
I have learned a lot being a mom. I have never compared myself to other moms. I have had fleeting thoughts about my style of parenting but I have erased those thoughts as I have always thought about what was best for my kids.
The biggest lesson I have learned is that I am not aiming to to the perfect mom. Whoever thinks they are the perfect mom is striving to please others, to look good in front of the neighbors. My kids will not answer my question.." Am I the perfect mom?" kid 1: "I'm reading." kid 2 "hah, you can answer that."


I like not doing the dishes every now and then. I like sitting down and relaxing. I like reading my book. I like saying NO. I like saying Yes. I like saying I don't know. I like not pretending to be the perfect mom. It's less stress. I am only trying to teach my kids I will always be there for them and that I love them, not that I was the perfect mom. That would only be a medal around my neck, not theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment